Building Address: 14 Brewster Lane
Section / Block / Lot:
Surveyor’s Name: Jayme Breschard
Survey Date: June 30, 2004
Building Type: residence
Owner’s Name: John Kromhout
Date of Construction: ca. 1910 – 1920
Building Dimensions: 36’ x 35’
No. of Floors: 1 ½
Decorative Features: exposed roof rafters, central hipped dormer, and porch lattice
Siding Material(s): painted wood shingle, coursed, sawed
Roof Style: pyramidal
Roofing Material(s): asphalt shingles, plain with ridge runners
Foundation: stucco (over masonry)
Window Style(s): foundation, six-over-one double-hung, three-sided bay window with six-lights, and jalousie windows
No. of Entrances and Placement: centered full-casement door on east façade and off-centered entries on the rear and south elevations
Chimneys and Placement: interior slope pipe chimney
Architectural Integrity: Post-1941, the one-story full-width porch on east façade was enclosed, the rear porch was enclosed with jalousie windows, and an open rail deck with lattice was added on the south elevation.
Architectural Style: Hipped Bungalow
Description: The building at 14 Brewster Lane sits on the corner of Brewster Lane and Price Street with its façade (east) on Brewster Lane. A gravel drive runs north-south from Price Street, along the north elevation of the building, and ends in the rear (west) lot.
Historical Information: The building presently at 14 Brewster Lane was not shown on the oldest existing Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of March, 1910. It later appeared on the December, 1920 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map. The building remained unaltered for twenty years until sometime after December, 1941.
Both Brewster Lane and Price Street were renamed sometime after 1933. Brewster Lane was known as Shaw Avenue, generally accredited to the Shaw family who settled in Bellport around 1858. The road was later renamed Brewster Lane for the estate of Charles Jeffery Brewster, which encompassed the tract of land from the “Head of the Neck Line” south to the Great South Bay around 1800. Price Street, formerly Cottage Place, was renamed in honor of Everett N. Price. Price was a butcher by trade, but also served as the first chief of the Bellport Hook and Ladder Company in 1893 and later as Bellport’s first mayor (when Bellport became an incorporated village in 1910).
Bigelow, Stephanie S. Bellport and Brookhaven: A Saga of the Sibling Hamlets at Old Purchase
South. Bellport, NY: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society, 1968.
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New
York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps. Bellport, New York: March 1910, December 1920, October
1933, and December 1941; available from http://ezproxy.library.cornell.edu:2972/; Internet; accessed 19 July 2004.