Building Address: 19 North Howells Point Road

Section / Block / Lot:   

Surveyor’s Name: Jayme Breschard

Survey Date: July 7, 2004

Building Type: residence

Owner’s Name: Edna Perino (deceased)

Building Name:   

Date of Construction: ca. 1933 – 1941

Architect:  

Building Dimensions: 43’ x 26’

No. of Floors: 1 ½

Decorative Features: large shed dormer, exposed roof rafters, and open-gabled hood with brackets and lattice on south elevation entry   

Siding Material(s): sawed wood shingle, coursed

Roof Style: side-gabled 

Roofing Material(s): asphalt shingle, plain

Foundation: not visible

Window Style(s):  six-over-six double-hung sash

No. of Entrances and Placement: centered door on west façade and off-centered south elevation entry

Chimneys and Placement: not visible
Condition: good

Architectural Integrity: screened porch on west façade, windows appear to be original

Architectural Style: Craftsman Bungalow

Description: The building at 19 North Howells Point Road sits on the east side of the road. A gravel drive runs east-west from North Howells Point Road, along the south elevation of the building, to a one-story front-gabled garage in the rear (east) lot. The garage has wood shingle cladding, a paneled roll-up garage door, and an asphalt shingle roof.

Historical Information: The building presently at 19 North Howells Point Road and its detached garage remain largely intact since construction, sometime between October, 1933 and December, 1941, according to Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps.

This building is one of many small cottages and bungalows that crop up in a section of Bellport Village, north of South Country Road, on a December, 1941 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map.

On the December, 1920 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, North Howells Point Road was just being cut and was known as Howells Point Lane and/or Maple Avenue. Howells Point Road is named for Captain Josiah Howell. Captain Josiah Howell had come to Bellport around 1800 and purchased nearly all the land from the “Head of the Neck Line” to the Great South Bay. With South County Road serving as the halfway point, Captain Josiah’s son, William, received the northern portion and his other son, Hampton, the south.

Source:  

Bigelow, Stephanie S. Bellport and Brookhaven: A Saga of the Sibling Hamlets at Old Purchase
South. Bellport, NY: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society, 1968.

Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New
York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.

Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps. Bellport, New York: March 1910, December 1920, October
1933, and December 1941; available from http://ezproxy.library.cornell.edu:2972/; Internet; accessed 19 July 2004.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.