Building Address: 21 North Howells Point Road

Section / Block / Lot:   
Surveyor’s Name: Jayme Breschard

Survey Date: July 7, 2004

Building Type: residence

Owner’s Name: James, Robert, and Donald Every

Building Name:   

Date of Construction: ca. 1933 – 1941

Architect:  

Building Dimensions: 56’ x 35’

No. of Floors: 1 ½

Decorative Features: partial façade porch with open rail and posts, hipped dormer

Siding Material(s): vinyl clapboard siding

Roof Style: intersecting hip and gable

Roofing Material(s): asphalt shingle, plain

Foundation: concrete

Window Style(s): single and paired six-over-six double-hung sash, casement, and triple window jalousies

No. of Entrances and Placement: centered entry on west façade and hooded south elevation entry

Chimneys and Placement: interior brick slope chimney   

Condition: good

Architectural Integrity: A rear (east) one-story gabled addition, new wall treatment, and new fenestration were post-1941 developments.

Architectural Style: Hipped Bungalow  

Description: The building at 21 North Howells Point Road sits on the east side of the road with an east-west asphalt drive, along the building’s south elevation, to a one-story front-gabled garage in the rear (east) lot. The garage is clad with unpainted wood shingles, has double swing garage doors, and an asphalt shingle roof.

Historical Information: The building at 21 North Howells Point Road has been greatly altered from its ca. 1941 appearance. However, the garage in the rear lot retains its integrity and exhibits original wall cladding and doors.

The building is one of many small cottages and bungalows that crop up in a section of Bellport Village, north of South Country Road, on the December, 1941 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map.

On the December, 1920 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, North Howells Point Road was just being cut and was known as Howells Point Lane and/or Maple Avenue. Howells Point Road is named for Captain Josiah Howell. Captain Josiah Howell had come to Bellport around 1800 and purchased nearly all the land from the “Head of the Neck Line” to the Great South Bay. With South County Road serving as the halfway point, Captain Josiah’s son, William, received the northern portion and his other son, Hampton, the south.

Source:  

Bigelow, Stephanie S. Bellport and Brookhaven: A Saga of the Sibling Hamlets at Old Purchase
South. Bellport, NY: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society, 1968.

Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New
York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.

Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps. Bellport, New York: March 1910, December 1920, October
1933, and December 1941; available from http://ezproxy.library.cornell.edu:2972/; Internet; accessed 19 July 2004.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.