Building Address: 43 North Howells Point Road
Section / Block / Lot:
Surveyor’s Name: Jayme Breschard
Building Type: residence
Owner’s Name: Thomas Linda, JR. and R. Tomasini
Date of Construction: ca. 1933 – 1941
Building Dimensions: 54’ x 24’
No. of Floors: 1 ½
Roof Style: intersecting hip and gable
Roofing Material(s): asphalt shingle, plain
Foundation: concrete block
Window Style(s): six-over-six double-hung sash
No. of Entrances and Placement: off-centered façade entry with concrete stoop and centered rear entry
Chimneys and Placement: interior brick (painted) slope chimney
Architectural Integrity: The rear entry porch was expanded and enclosed post-1941.
Architectural Style: Hipped Bungalow
Description: The building at 43 North Howells Point Road sits on the east side of the road. In the rear (east) lot, facing Kreamer Street, is a one-story front-gabled garage with a concrete slab foundation. The garage is clad with asbestos shingles, has double swing garage doors with iron strap hinges, and an asphalt shingle roof. Both west and east elevations have a six-light casement window.
Historical Information: The building presently at 43 North Howells Point Road and its detached garage remain largely intact since construction, sometime between October, 1933 and December, 1941, according to Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps.
The building is one of many small cottages and bungalows that crop up in a section of Bellport Village, north of South Country Road, on the December, 1941 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map.
On the December, 1920 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, North Howells Point Road was just being cut and was known as Howells Point Lane and/or Maple Avenue. Howells Point Road is named for Captain Josiah Howell. Captain Josiah Howell had come to Bellport around 1800 and purchased nearly all the land from the “Head of the Neck Line” to the Great South Bay. With South County Road serving as the halfway point, Captain Josiah’s son, William, received the northern portion and his other son, Hampton, the south.
Kreamer Street, which was called Bay View on a December, 1941 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, is named for several Kreamer men. George Kreamer was Bellport Postmaster in 1880. Captain Henry Kreamer was keeper of the Life Saving Station at Bellport. William Kreamer was a member of the regatta committee of the Bellport Yacht Club, circa 1910, who both owned and sailed racing craft. He was also the owner of the largest and most famous hotel in Bellport, the Wyandotte Hotel. His son, George, carried on the hotel’s operation during the era of Prohibition. The Wyandotte was located on what is today Browns Lane, north of Raynor Lane.
“Bellport: The One-Design Boats to Take Part in Gravesend Bay Races,” New York Times,
10 July 1910, page XI.
Bigelow, Stephanie S. Bellport and Brookhaven: A Saga of the Sibling Hamlets at Old Purchase
South. Bellport, NY: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society, 1968.
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New
York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.
Principe, Victor. Images of America: Bellport Village and Brookhaven Hamlet. Charleston,
SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2002.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps. Bellport, New York: March 1910, December 1920, October
1933, and December 1941; available from http://ezproxy.library.cornell.edu:2972/; Internet; accessed 19 July 2004.