Building Address: 13 Locust Road
Section / Block / Lot:
Surveyor’s Name: Jayme Breschard
Survey Date: June 9, 2004
Building Type: residence
Owner’s Name: Linda Cox
Building Name: H. Corwin house
Date of Construction: ca. 1900
Building Dimensions: 21’ x 26’
No. of Floors: 1
Siding Material(s): sawed wood shingle, coursed
Roof Style: parallel side gables
Roofing Material(s): asphalt shingle, plain
Window Style(s): two-over-two double-hung sash, casement, and plate glass
No. of Entrances and Placement: half-glazed door with inset panels on the west façade and an entrance on the west elevation’s addition
Chimneys and Placement: exterior brick end-wall chimney on south elevation
Architectural Integrity: enclosed addition on north elevation with plate glass windows
Architectural Style: Cape Cod Cottage
The building at 13 Locust Road sits on the east side of the road. A small pergola sits at the entrance of a slate path that leads to both the west façade’s and north addition’s entrances.
According to 4th grader Susan David’s 1976 oral history project, this building was built by Harvey Corwin on land he had purchased from Chauncey Swezey. The original house was small and had no plumbing, except for a hand pump. “When Mr. Corwin died in the Suffolk County Infirmary, Mr. Bishop bought the house and used it as a summer house. Rufus Robinson rented from Bishop for ten dollars a month. The neighbors complained that he threw his slops in the street. He died in 1960. In 1974, Mr. Bishop sold the house to Larry and Linda Cox.”
Bigelow, Stephanie S. Bellport and Brookhaven: A Saga of the Sibling Hamlets at Old Purchase South. Bellport, NY: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society, 1968.
David, Susan. “History of Locust Road, Brookhaven.” Oral History Project at Hampton Avenue School, 1976.
Deitz, John B. 2000 – 2004. Brookhaven, New York; available from http://prometheusli.com/hamlet/susan_david_history.htm ; Internet; accessed 22 June 2004.
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.