Building Address: 16 Newey Lane
Section / Block / Lot:
Surveyor’s Name: Jayme Breschard
Survey Date: June 2, 2004
Building Type: residence
Owner’s Name: Post-Morrow Foundation, Inc., a not-for-profit corporation that preserves and conserves the rural, cultural, and historical character of the hamlet of Brookhaven and surrounding areas in Suffolk County
Date of Construction: ca. 1900
Building Dimensions: 37’ x 33’
No. of Floors: 2
Decorative Features: pedimented entry porch with brackets and gable louvers
Siding Material(s): wood shingle, coursed
Roof Style: gambrel with flat roof one-story façade (south) addition
Roofing Material(s): asphalt shingle, plain
Window Style(s): three-sided bay, gabled dormer with six-over-six double-hung sash, one-light casement, plate glass, and one-over-one double-hung sash ribbon windows
No. of Entrances and Placement: off-centered on façade (south) and another on the one-story addition’s west elevation
Chimneys and Placement: two exterior brick end-wall chimneys; one on the east elevation and one at the end of the one-story addition on the south façade
Architectural Integrity: There is a one-story addition on the façade with new plate glass windows. The three-sided bay window has new sashes and glazing.
Architectural Style: Gambrel Cottage
The building at 16 Newey Lane sits on the west side of Newey Lane, although its façade faces south towards the canal that runs east to Carmans River. Surrounding the building is the Newey-Tooker boatyard. In the rear (north) lot sits a front-gabled one-story outbuilding with double vertical board swing doors, asphalt shingle roof, and coursed wood shingle cladding.
The building was known as the Michelson boarding house. It
was built by Tom Michelson’s grandparents. The house was passed down through the family. There was a fire c. 1940-1950.
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.
Personal communication between Jayme Breschard and Tom Michelson, October 2004.