Building Address: 179 Old Stump Road
Section / Block / Lot:
Surveyor’s Name: Jayme Breschard
Survey Date: June 11, 2004
Building Type: residence
Owner’s Name: Edward and Ruth Call
Date of Construction: ca. 1888
Building Dimensions: 32’ x 28’
No. of Floors: 2 ½
Decorative Features: entablature frontispiece with pilasters
Siding Material(s): sawed wood shingle, coursed
Roof Style: cross-gabled
Roofing Material(s): asphalt shingle, plain
Foundation: wood shingles extend to the ground
Window Style(s): one-over-one and six-over-six double-hung sash and four-light casement windows
No. of Entrances and Placement: off-centered nine-light door with two panels on west façade
Chimneys and Placement: exterior concrete block end-wall chimney and exterior concrete block end-wall chimney on one-story south addition
Architectural Integrity: one-story side-gabled addition on the south elevation; windows are original to the principal unit
Architectural Style: Open-Gable Cottage
The building at 179 Old Stump Road sits on the east side of the road with an east-west asphalt drive along its south elevation that extends to a one-and-a-half-story side-gabled garage with board and batten siding and asphalt roof shingles. Its west façade features Craftsman six-light swing garage doors with iron strap hinges and an adjacent six-over-six double-hung sash window. On the north elevation is an exterior gable end pipe chimney.
According to the 1888 Atlas of the Towns of Babylon, Islip and the South Part of Brookhaven, the east side of Old Stump Road was developing faster than the west (traveling north from the road’s junction with Beaver Dam Road). At this time, Beaver Dam Road was known as Brookhaven Avenue and Old Stump Road as Railroad Avenue. The building presently at 179 Beaver Dam Road was owned by W.H. Swezey.
Wallace Halsey Swezey was born January 9, 1860 in New York. He appeared as “Wallase” on the 1880 census in Brookhaven Hamlet, Suffolk County, New York. He resided in the household of his parents, Hannah and William Egbert Swezey, and was a farmer. In 1900, Wallace Halsey appeared on the census as a bayman. By 1910, he was a dealer in ice and resided on Railroad Avenue. Wallace Halsey Swezey operated his own ice business in 1920, but was back to farming in 1930. Attending the Presbyterian Church (currently the South Haven Presbyterian Church) in South Haven, he became the most senior member of the congregation in 1940. William Halsey Swezey died in 1951 in Yaphank.
Deitz, John B. 2000 – 2004. Brookhaven, New York; available from http://prometheusli.com/hamlet/hamlet_tree/f-p/d104.htm#P612 ; Internet;
accessed 15 July 2004.
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.
Wendelkyn & Co. Atlas of the Towns of Babylon, Islip and the South Part of Brookhaven. 1888.