Building Address: 192 Old Stump Road
Section / Block / Lot:
Surveyor’s Name: Jayme Breschard
Survey Date: July 14, 2004
Building Type: residence
Owner’s Name: Elizabeth Stephani (Frank Muller and Ami Hamlin are currently renting this building.)
Building Name: Cornell house
Date of Construction: ca. 1910
Building Dimensions: 30’ x 30’
No. of Floors: 1 ½
Decorative Features: shed roof dormers and pergola on north elevation
Siding Material(s): wood shingle, coursed, sawed
Roof Style: gambrel
Roofing Material(s): asphalt shingle, plain
Foundation: poured concrete
Window Style(s): single and paired eight-over-eight double-hung sash windows
No. of Entrances and Placement: centered exterior screened door with paneled interior door on the east façade
Chimneys and Placement: exterior brick end-wall chimney, south elevation
Architectural Integrity: windows have been replaced
Architectural Style: Gambrel Cottage
The building at 192 Old Stump Road sits on the west side of the road. An asphalt drive runs east-west from Old Stump Road along the north elevation of the building to a one-story saltbox garage with clapboard vinyl siding and a roll-up garage door with a row of lights.
According to an interview with current Bellport Village Trustee, Robert H. Lyons III, Leo Cornell was a bayman who lived in the building presently at 192 Old Stump Road. Mr. Lyons believed the garage or outbuilding in the rear (west) lot had once served as an apartment.
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.
Lyons, Robert H. III, interview by author, Jayme Breschard. Telephone interview, 14 July 2004.