Carmans River Maritime Center/The Newey Boat Shop
Building Address: 22 Newey Lane
Section / Block / Lot:
Surveyor’s Name: Jayme Breschard
Survey Date: December 3, 2004
Building Type: industrial/warehouse
Owner’s Name: Post-Morrow Foundation, Inc., a not-for-profit corporation that preserves and conserves the rural, cultural, and historical character of the hamlet of Brookhaven and surrounding areas in Suffolk County.
Building Name: Carmans River Maritime Center/The Newey Boat Shop
Date of Construction: ca. 1970
Building Dimensions: 40’x25’ shop with a 31’x25’ meeting/project room
No. of Floors: 1 ½
Decorative Features: hayloft opening in the facade’s gable end
Siding Material(s): vinyl siding with coursed wood shingles in the gable ends
Roof Style: front-gabled
Roofing Material(s): asphalt shingle, plain
Foundation: poured concrete
Window Style(s): two-light sliding windows and skylights
No. of Entrances and Placement: off-centered nine-light door with two panels on the façade (south); double cross batten swing garage doors on the façade, west, and east elevations
Chimneys and Placement: interior slope concrete block chimney
Architectural Integrity: roof and wall cladding recently replaced and new vinyl fenestration throughout building
Architectural Style: industrial/maritime vernacular
The Carmans River Maritime Center/The Newey Boat Shop sits at the southern tip of Newey Lane. Its façade is opposite a bulkheaded dock and Arthur’s Creek, which runs east into the Carmans River. In 1999, the Post-Morrow Foundation, Inc. purchased the site with the mission to operate an educational facility for the building, restoration and repair of wooden boats and to sustain maritime skills and traditions, particularly those associated with Brookhaven Hamlet and Great South Bay.
In 2002, the Carmans River Maritime Center became an independent entity, chartered by the State of New York. The boat shop has been totally renovated and upgraded to serve as the primary teaching venue. It is a thoroughly modern boat building facility which consists of a building shop, a meeting/project room, and an office/tool crib.
The Carmans River Maritime Center/The Newey Boat Shop was constructed by Richard “Dick” Tooker, who operated the boatyard from the time of Sam Newey’s retirement in 1948 until 1979 when he sold it to Bill Starke.
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.
Post-Morrow Foundation. 2004. Carmans River Maritime Center Brookhaven Hamlet, NY; available from www.carmansrivermaritime.org
Starke, Bill. Interview by author, 22 Nov 2004, Shirley, New York. Written notes.
Tooker, Bruce. Interview by author, 22 Nov 2004, Brookhaven Hamlet, New York. Written notes.