Building Address: 275 Connetquot Drive
Section / Block / Lot:
Surveyor’s Name: Cristina Muia
Survey Date: 9/04
Building Type: Commercial
Owner’s Name: Dowling College
Building Name: “The Icehouse”
Date of Construction: 1890
Architect: Isaac H. Green
Builders: William Bason and Sons of Sayville
No. of Floors:2½
Siding Material(s): Brick and aluminum siding
Roof Style: gable
Roofing Material(s): Asphalt
Window Style(s): Replacement storm
No. of Entrances and Placement:
Chimneys and Placement:
Architectural Integrity: Fair
Architectural Style: Vernacular
It is a two story brick building with two foot thick walls originally constructed without windows.
This is located on the north side of the Connetquot Drive near the former greenhouses and potting shed. The purpose of the building was for storing ice; used for refrigeration purposes in both the mansion and surrounding buildings. Notably the house stands in a heavily wooded area; once nearby there was a canal and woods. This made transferring ice from the property into the house easier. At this time there were few sources for ice. It was harvested during the winter from local ponds and stored in icehouses until late spring when it melted. In 1902 the Suffolk County News reported, “…the ice house on the Vanderbilt estate has been filled with one hundred tons of ice from Cutting’s Pond.” Additionally ice was brought in by railroad from other local towns and cities. Today it is the offices of Dowling College Institute.
Dowling College. “The Estate and Environs.” http://www.dowling.edu/about/idlehour/
Tom Green. (Owner of the Dowling Consignment Shop and Community scholar about the Vanderbilts) in conversation with Cristina Muia, September 2004.