Building Address: 3 Newey Lane
Section / Block / Lot:
Surveyor’s Name: Jayme Breschard
Survey Date: June 2, 2004
Building Type: residence
Owner’s Name: David and Barbara Copeland
Date of Construction: ca. 1870
Building Dimensions: 50’ x 36’
No. of Floors: 2
Decorative Features: Tuscan column supports for the west façade’s entry porch and wraparound porch (extends from the façade to the north elevation), vertical plank shutters, scroll-sawn brackets under both the three-sided and squared bay windows, and gable louvers
Siding Material(s): sawed wood shingle and vertical clapboards on the walls and fishscale shingles in the gable ends
Roof Style: cross-gabled roof with a half-hipped veranda that wraps around from the façade (west) to the north elevation and a shed roof entry (on façade)
Roofing Material(s): asphalt shingle, plain
Foundation: wall cladding extends to the ground
Window Style(s): paired six-over-six double-hung sash, paired four-light casement, paired one-over-one double-hung sash, round arch transoms, and three-sided and squared bay windows
No. of Entrances and Placement: off-centered entrance on the west façade and rear (east) entry
Chimneys and Placement: two interior concrete (stucco and block) chimneys in the rear and an exterior end-wall chimney on the north elevation, enclosed by the screened veranda
Architectural Integrity: The wraparound porch has been screened on the north elevation. On the west façade, the wraparound porch has been enclosed. On the south elevation, a conservatory with a brick foundation has been added.
Architectural Style: Organic Colonial Cottage
The building at 3 Newey Lane sits on the corner of Beaver Dam Road and Newey Lane. Two outbuildings sit in the rear (east) and south lots. At the end of the gravel east-west drive is a one-story front-gabled garage with three bays that is covered with diagonal wood siding. To the south is a steeply-pitched side-gabled outbuilding with vertical wood siding and a shed-roof entry.
According to the 1873 Atlas of Long Island, Ebenezer Albin owned the building presently located at 3 Newey Lane (Newey Lane is not shown on the map). The building sits on the south side of Beaver Dam Road (then known as South Street).
Beers, F.W. Atlas of Long Island (1873).
Deitz, John B. 2000 – 2004. Brookhaven, New York; available from http://prometheusli.com/hamlet/history/BuildingInventoryForm.asp?InventoryCode=Br18B.2-S ; Internet; accessed 2 July 2004.
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.
Wendelkyn & Co. Atlas of the Towns of Babylon, Islip and the South Part of Brookhaven. 1888.