Building Address: Private Road (gravel)
Section / Block / Lot:
Surveyor’s Name: Jayme Breschard
Survey Date: August 4, 2004
Building Type: residence/recreation
Owner’s Name: Florence Duffy Sharkey
Building Name: The Duffy’s
Date of Construction: ca. 1910 – 1926
Building Dimensions: 35’ x 19’
No. of Floors: 1
Decorative Features: four-panel entrance door on façade (east) with an elliptic light
Siding Material(s): horizontal vinyl siding
Roof Style: flat
Roofing Material(s): asphalt shingle, plain
Window Style(s): paired one-over-one double-hung sash, six-light casement, and small, fixed octagon windows
No. of Entrances and Placement: off-centered entrance door on façade (east)
Chimneys and Placement: not visible
Architectural Integrity: wall cladding has been replaced; windows appear to be original
Architectural Style: vernacular
The Duffy’s is a one-story floating structure situated on a .38-acre parcel at the foot of a canal, just off Swan River. Its façade looks east upon Swan River, with its rear (west) enveloped by wetlands. The canal and dock are accessed by a narrow gravel road. This road sits on the east side of Conklin Avenue, just before the bend that meets Grove Avenue, and is unmarked. The dock covers about 1.28-acres and is divided into seven parcels, owned individually and jointly by Edward and Mary Brown, Florence Duffy Sharkey, and Paul E. Sharkey II.
The canal that accommodates The Duffy’s first appears on a February, 1910 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map. Before this time, Grove Avenue served as Patchogue’s east boundary line. The canal has a bulkhead and serves as a small berth for local baymen.
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps. Patchogue, New York: February 1910, October 1916, and October 1926 (updated through July 1947); available from http://ezproxy.library.cornell.edu:2972/ Internet; accessed 9 August 2004.