South Shore Survey
Welcome to the survey and nomination section of the South Shore Estuary Reserve portal site. In 2004 LI Traditions conducted a maritime survey of the communities spanning from Oakdale to Brookhaven Hamlet, focusing on boat yards, fishermen and baymen, duck hunters and decoy carvers, summer homes, bungalows and commercial fishing operations. Visit the Central Suffolk region on the Communities Page to see the survey.
In our ongoing efforts to record the history and traditions relating to the Estuary, we realize that many of our visitors have valuable knowledge about sites of significance and tradition bearers in their communities. In order to record your own perspectives for future research, we invite you to join us as collaborators in documenting this fascinating region.
To assist you we have prepared several tools that we hope will assist us in learning about this region. They are:
- Researching and documenting a traditional site (full pdf form)
- Documentation form (shorter pdf form)
- Fieldwork interview form (pdf form)
- How to construct a site & floor plan (pdf form)
- Taking architectural photographs (pdf form)
- Conducting oral interviews (pdf forms)
- Interviewee release form (pdf form)
- Finding local documents and resources (pdf form)
Following these suggestions, we know that you will find wonderful places to document and people to interview. If however you feel uncomfortable or want to talk with us, please feel free to call us at (516) 767-8803 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request we conduct group workshops for fieldworkers and oral historians.