Carmans River Maritime Center/The Newey Boat Shop
Shed #3

Building Address:  22 Newey Lane

Section / Block / Lot:    

Surveyor’s Name:  Jayme Breschard

Survey Date:  December 3, 2004

Building Type: industrial/warehouse

Owner’s Name:  John Taylor currently leases this building from the Post-Morrow Foundation, Inc., a not-for-profit corporation that preserves and conserves the rural, cultural, and historical character of the hamlet of Brookhaven and surrounding areas in Suffolk County.

Building Name:  S.N. 1 at Tooker’s Boatyard

Date of Construction:  ca. 1950

Architect:   

Building Dimensions:  40’x25’

No. of Floors:  1 ½

Decorative Features:  

Siding Material(s):  aluminum or corrugated steel

Roof Style:  front-gabled

Roofing Material(s): galvanized sheet metal

Foundation:  poured concrete

Window Style(s):  two-light sliding windows

No. of Entrances and Placement:  double glass doors on the façade (south)

Chimneys and Placement: not visible

Condition:  good

Architectural Integrity: wall cladding appears to be original; new vinyl windows

Architectural Style: industrial/maritime vernacular

Description: 
S.N. 1 at Tooker’s Boatyard sits at the southern tip of Newey Lane.  Its façade is opposite a bulkheaded dock and Arthur’s Creek, which runs east into the Carmans River.  In 1999, the Post-Morrow Foundation, Inc. purchased the site with the mission to operate an educational facility for the building, restoration and repair of wooden boats and to sustain maritime skills and traditions, particularly those associated with Brookhaven Hamlet and Great South Bay.

In 2002, the Carmans River Maritime Center became an independent entity, chartered by the State of New York.  The Newey Boat Shop has been totally renovated and upgraded to serve as the primary teaching venue.

Historical Information: 
The building that currently houses the S.N. 1 at Tooker’s Boatyard was constructed by Richard “Dick” Tooker, who operated the boatyard from the time of Sam Newey’s retirement in 1948 until 1979 when he sold it to Bill Starke.  Bruce Tooker, the son of Dick Tooker, did not remember the building as ever being wooden, but speculates that it may have been at one time.

Source:    
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940.  New York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.

Post-Morrow Foundation. 2004. Carmans River Maritime Center [on-line].  Brookhaven Hamlet, NY; available from http://carmansrivermaritime.org/history.htm ; Internet; accessed 3 December 2004.

Starke, Bill. Interview by author, 22 Nov 2004, Shirley, New York. Written notes.

Tooker, Bruce.  Interview by author, 22 Nov 2004, Brookhaven Hamlet, New York. Written notes.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.