Building Address: grassy area on the east side of the Town Dock, foot of Bellport Lane
Section / Block / Lot:
Surveyor’s Name: Jayme Breschard
Survey Date: July 7, 2004
Building Type: recreation
Owner’s Name: Brookhaven Town
Building Name: Osborn Park shelter
Date of Construction: ca. 1920
Building Dimensions: 8’ x 15’
No. of Floors: 1
Decorative Features: closed rail around perimeter, interior seating platform, and exposed roof rafters
Siding Material(s): open-air with wooden post supports and brackets
Roof Style: low pitch side-gabled
Roofing Material(s): wood shingles with ridge runners, plain
Foundation: concrete slab
Window Style(s): open-air
No. of Entrances and Placement: egress along south elevation (façade)
Chimneys and Placement: none
Architectural Integrity: roof shingles have been replaced, structure repainted
Architectural Style: vernacular
Description: The Osborn Park shelter, located on Brookhaven Town land, sits northeast of the Bellport Bay Yacht Clubhouse.
Historical Information: The land on the east side of the Town Dock, known as “Osborn Park,” was deeded to Bellport Village April 8, 1919 by Helen M. Osborn. However, at the close of the nineteenth century, this land was used as a lumber and coal yard. The slip, yard, and mill buildings were owned by J.W. Overton. The slip was a channel dug out in the center of the Osborn property. It was filled in when the buildings were removed and the land made into a park. The open-air shelter was probably constructed around the time the land was donated. This one-acre park, according to current mapping systems, is owned by Brookhaven Town.
Bigelow, Stephanie S. Bellport and Brookhaven: A Saga of the Sibling Hamlets at Old Purchase
South. Bellport, NY: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society, 1968.
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New
York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.
Principe, Victor. Images of America: Bellport Village and Brookhaven Hamlet. Charleston,
SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2002.